Still, new adopters tend to adopt puppies, saying they want their new dog or cat breed since childhood with the family.
But do you have raised the advantages and disadvantages of adopting a puppy or an adult? Puppies, in the early stages of life, need a lot more care and attention.
Cats and dogs, like puppies of any kind, have to learn everything from scratch. If you do not have proper socialization or do not receive the teachings they need to live with people and animals, adults can become problematic.
Instead, take an adult can have many advantages we tell below:
- The main advantage is that we know perfectly the definitive nature of the animal. We can understand whether it is quiet or whether on the contrary, is active. If affectionate or independent, if he gets along well with other animals, customs, etc.
Thus, we can choose the animal that suits our lifestyle and customs without bringing any surprises. In the case of cats it is the same if we want a loving cat or a playful cat, adopting an adult we will be sure how our pet while if we assume a puppy, we can not know what they are final.
- We know the final size. While in the case of cats, this is not too important, it is of great importance in the case of dogs. Sometimes, if we adopt a mongrel puppy, it is challenging to get an exact idea of the ultimate size of an adult, and we will have the certainty of final size until it grows.
- We do not have to go through the stage of destruction of puppies: Most puppies in their first months experience everything with his teeth, bite, destroy, etc. With adult dogs will not pass us this. Usually, they have a maturity superior and have lost the habit of eating and smashing of the early time.
- We can take them directly to street activities: While the puppies have to wait all the vaccination period to bring them out into the street for a walk, taking an adult, we can enjoy from day one with him outdoors.
- They learn quickly and adapt to our home and customs. Adult animals have a high capacity for learning and are proven to adapt to the environment where they live fast.
- They need less dedication. Although all animals need to spend their time, adult animals require less time than puppies. If they have their basic needs covered, spend more time relaxing and peaceful, than it would a mischievous and playful puppy.
Finally, note that by adopting an adult animal saved two lives. The animal that you borrow and which will take his place in a shelter.